So in the last 3 weeks we’ve seen Walker in the Republicans do the following:
- Suddenly announce a vote on the “budget repair bill” minus all “fiscal” items so they didn’t need a quorum and pass it in a special joint committee of the Legislature, then the Senate, and then the Assembly. [3/10/2011 – Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Article] The only two problems are:
- The Republicans violated Wisconsin’s open meetings laws.
- The State is now changing what employees are paid (to enact savings as they like to say). Seems kinda fiscally to me.
- Out of the blue “publish” the bill after a judge enacts a Temporary Restraining Order preventing the State Government from publishing / enacting the bill as law. [3/26/2011 – Wisconsin State Journal Article]
- Start telling everyone that the bill is law. [3/26/2011 – Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Article]
- The DOA starts implementing the bill as law. [3/28/2011 – Wisconsin State Journal Article]
I guess the old saying about being “in for a penny, in for a pound” is true. But seriously, if they’re so confident that this is what’s so good for people and what the people want why do they have to keep thumbing their noses at the law, rushing things through, and operating under the cover of darkness. The only thing I can think of is that Walker and the Republicans know their goose is cooked and the only way to get what they want is to keep playing hardball.
Regardless, things should really start getting interesting as Judge Sumi is scheduled to resume hearings on the restraining order tomorrow morning in Madison. At that time we’ll get an idea about what she thinks about the restraining order that she issued being violated (assuming she thinks it was).